Facts About Niles Schools
The first school in Niles was opened in 1834 on South Main Street,
south of the Mahoning River. The first teacher was Herman Harmon,
a descendant of the first settler, Ruben Harmon. A second school was
later built on the corner of Leslie Ave. and Linden Ave. Both were
one room school houses. In 1870, Central School was built. It housed
a twelve year twelve grade school system, started out with 6 teachers,
and was considered the high school until McKinley High School (now
Edison Jr. High School) was built in 1914. Frank Robbins was the first
student to graduate from Central High School in 1875. He was the only
one in his class. In 1888, there were 1,370 pupils attending Niles
Schools (not all were from Niles. Some students were from neighboring
towns, and paid tuition to attend Niles, due to their more advanced
educational opportunities compared with other area towns and villages.
Washington Jr. High School (now Washington Elementary)was built in
By 1976, Niles had 8 elementary schools, a new Niles McKinley High
School, 2 Junior High Schools, 4,293 students, and 201 staff members.
Niles has two Parochial Schools - St. Stephen School, established
in 1893, and Our Lady of Mt. Carmel School, in 1949.
The first school board for the Niles area consisted of William McKinley,
Sr., Jacob Robinson, and Dr. Miller Blackley.
History of Niles, Ohio by The Niles
Centennial History Club and McKinley High School, 1984, published
by The Niles Daily Times.)